Named for the abstract expressionist's signature paint-splattered canvases, these apples make great Halloween treats. Green Granny Smiths go well with the sweet white and bittersweet chocolates, but use any apple you like. Look for wooden sticks at craft supply stores, or use forks instead.
Apple Topaz Candies
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 apple - peeled, cored and cubed
1/3 cup water
1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Toss apple pieces in the mixture until well coated.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the caramel candies and water. Heat, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Place walnuts onto a tray.
- Using a fork or toothpick, dip apple pieces into the caramel, then drop them into the walnuts. Roll them around until coated. Place onto a waxed paper lined cookie sheet, and refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
Diabetic Candy Apple
1 granny smith apple peeled
1/4 teaspoon sugar-free cherry flavored gelatin
2 tablespoons diet cherry cola
2 tablespoons thawed frozen reduced-fat nondairy whipped topping
- Slice apple crosswish into 1/4 inch thick rings; remove seeds. Place stack of apple rings in small microwaveable bowl; sprinkle with gelatin. Pour cola over rings.
- Cover loosely with waxed paper. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until liquid is boiling. Allow to stand, covered, 5 minutes. Arrange rings on dessert plate. Serve warm with whipped topping.
Quick 'Candied' Apples
Powdered dry gelatin, Sugar-Free or sweetened (any flavor)
Washington Red Delicious apples (or your favorite variety)
- Spread dry gelatin on a plate.
- Cut apples in half.
- Dip the cut side of each apple in the gelatin. The colors will brighten as the gelatin picks up the apple’s juice.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one hour before serving.
Zetrocity Digital Solutions